IBM Predicts Steampunk Trend
According to IBM’s Social Sentiment Index, based on an analysis of more than a half million public posts on message boards, blogs, social media sites, etc., steampunk inspired by the clothing, technology, and social mores of Victorian society, will be a major trend in 2013 – 2015 (and possibly beyond).
According to the report:
- 33% of online fashion chatter around steampunk can be found on gaming sites.
- 2010 saw a year on year increase in chatter of 296 percent. This increase can be attributed to steampunk-inspired NYC ComicCon events in October of 2010.
- Twitter is the #1 social network for steampunk chatter; hosts six times the number of discussions as Facebook.
- 63% of fashion discussions around steampunk are initiated by individuals less than 30 years old.
- 55% of social sentiment chatter for steampunk fashion derived by blogs.
You can read the full press release here, or check out the article at Forbes (yes Forbes) for more details.
And be sure to check out this really cool accompanying graphic!